PSYCLE's home     
     since may 2000
  news / home  files songs boards links all registered members about psycledelics Statistics    
Welcome to -psycledelics-. If this is your 1st visit please read the FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions You must register before you can post here: Please click above on Registration to register yourself. You do not need to register if you only want to read Threads.
Login with Username & Password:

Remember me on this PC.
-psycledelics- Discussions TIPS BOARD computer power
« Previous Thread Next Thread » Show a Printable Version  Send this to a Friend  Add to Favorites
Thread closed
Author

Date Registered:

mislead ist offline
computer power        Go on top to this Page

is a P3 266 with 256 mb of ram enough to handle psycle and a bit of vst?

im currently running a mac and am looking for a 'cheap' change and the ideas of psycle/buzz appeal to me.

03.12.2001, 23:47 Profile of mislead Add mislead to your Buddy-List
FingerSoup

Date Registered:

FingerSoup ist offline
         Go on top to this Page

I run a PII 300 with 192MB ram, and it runs fine... Only had problems with 1 or 2 songs posted here. In worst cases, you can "record" to WAV file, and the WAV will render cleanly.

I have heard other people use a PII 233 overclocked to 266, running fairly well, but I haven't seen it. You should be fine.

I didn't think P3's ran at 233... I thought P3's started at 400... Oh well, no big deal... a P3 should run Psycle, no problem.

04.12.2001, 05:42 Profile of FingerSoup Add FingerSoup to your Buddy-List
Pikari

Date Registered:

Pikari ist offline
         Go on top to this Page

I make my songs with my Celeron 400, 64mB ram. I guess Psycle eats more CPU power than ram.

Usually songs with huge samples or much reverb (according to Tao ) are problems for older CPUs.

04.12.2001, 09:09 Profile of Pikari Add Pikari to your Buddy-List Homepage of Pikari Add Pikari to your Contact-List
FingerSoup

Date Registered:

FingerSoup ist offline
         Go on top to this Page

Huge samples are a download/bandwidth or memory problem usually... I haven't had any problems loading huge 45 second guitar samples into Psycle. Reverb IS a CPU eater. The only songs I have trouble playing, are the ones with LOTS of reverb...

05.12.2001, 18:19 Profile of FingerSoup Add FingerSoup to your Buddy-List
mislead

Date Registered:

mislead ist offline
         Go on top to this Page

Cool, looks like i'll be picking up the computer then..

"I didn't think P3's ran at 233... I thought P3's started at 400... Oh well, no big deal... a P3 should run Psycle, no problem."

Im not to sure, but ill have to check it out before i get it anyway.

Thanks.

05.12.2001, 23:47 Profile of mislead Add mislead to your Buddy-List
Pikari

Date Registered:

Pikari ist offline
         Go on top to this Page

quote:
Original by FingerSoup
Huge samples are a download/bandwidth or memory problem usually...

80 mb song needs much CPU, for sure! I have tested it (used 2 min long guitar samples)

06.12.2001, 16:14 Profile of Pikari Add Pikari to your Buddy-List Homepage of Pikari Add Pikari to your Contact-List
Breakthru

Date Registered:

Breakthru ist offline
         Go on top to this Page

the amount of RAM is very important and upgrading it will make a noticiable improvement in performance.

One thing is true, the more power your computer has and the more you'll be able to "play" with effects... For example I like to mix fx together to obtain some particular "texture" (sometimes nothing extraordinary but very different from the source sound). That's why I reach the full power of my Athlon 650 in most of my projects...
I guess the power you need depends more on what "kind" of composer you are...

08.12.2001, 23:36 Profile of Breakthru Add Breakthru to your Buddy-List Homepage of Breakthru
liquid boy

Date Registered:

liquid boy ist offline
         Go on top to this Page

if you chuck windows 95 (rc 2 i think was the one to get) it'll fly
i tried win95 on my 260 mhz 64mb ram laptop, and it was as fast, if not faster than running windows 98se on a 1.3 gig 256mb ram computer (thats not a scientific experiment btw... )

20.07.2004, 02:31 Profile of liquid boy Add liquid boy to your Buddy-List Homepage of liquid boy
SmG

Date Registered:

SmG ist offline
         Go on top to this Page

quote:
Original by Pikari

(...)
Usually songs with huge samples or much reverb (according to Tao ) are problems for older CPUs.

...and delay!

11.06.2005, 18:57 Profile of SmG Add SmG to your Buddy-List
DMNXS

Date Registered:

DMNXS ist offline
         Go on top to this Page

quote:
Original by SmG
[QUOTE]Original by Pikari

(...)

...and delay!
[/QUOTE]
...and pretty much every other CPU hungry effect !

21.06.2005, 12:09 Profile of DMNXS Add DMNXS to your Buddy-List Add DMNXS to your Contact-List
  « Previous Thread Next Thread »
Thread closed
Jump to:

© 2002-2007 psycledelics | Powered by Hivoox.ma ©2001 Woltlab GbR|Setup & mod for psycledelics by: SAS