PSYCLE's home     
     since may 2000
  news / home  files songs boards links all registered members about psycledelics Statistics    
Welcome to -psycledelics-. If this is your 1st visit please read the FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions You must register before you can post here: Please click above on Registration to register yourself. You do not need to register if you only want to read Threads.
Login with Username & Password:

Remember me on this PC.
-psycledelics- Discussions MAIN BOARD Mixing and Polishing Tracks
« Previous Thread Next Thread » Show a Printable Version  Send this to a Friend  Add to Favorites
Thread closed
Author
Psycler

Date Registered:

Oceanroc ist offline
  Mixing and Polishing Tracks        Go on top to this Page

Hi guys

I have been using Psycle for some time now and I have a serious question? Can Psycle be used to make my tracks sound professional grade in terms of loudness and clarity. I recently released this track on Soundcloud, can you give me any suggestions and how I could polish it? I am still relatively inexperienced when it comes to mixing and mastering. Here is the track https://soundcloud.com/oceanroc/creptile

17.12.2013, 22:40 Profile of Oceanroc Add Oceanroc to your Buddy-List Homepage of Oceanroc
shadowbane
Psycler

Date Registered:

shadowbane ist offline
         Go on top to this Page

Tried to post earlier, but the forum broke.

Try not to pan the rhythm stuff all to one ear, it is /really/ distracting on headphones and makes one channel way louder than the others.

Try to always know which instrument should be the focus and bring it to the front of the mix. Everything was about in the same place in the mix and I couldn't tell where the focus was.

Consider using instruments that blend more. Right now all of the instruments feel too separated.

Although people talk about carving out frequency ranges for things this piece needs the opposite, there are too big of gaps between the instruments where nothing is happening.

18.12.2013, 23:21 Profile of shadowbane Add shadowbane to your Buddy-List
ALY
Psycler

Date Registered:

ALY ist offline
         Go on top to this Page

Hey Oceanroc

of cause U can use it "to make your tracks sound professional grade" ... if you do create your songs in psycle or you do import the tracks (instruments&co) via the sampler ...

I do suppose you try to give your sounds more push by pushing the loudness 2 the limit. try 2 play around whith some EQs to give them more push ... compressors are good working tools too but you can destroy the dynamic of a track ...

you can find online every basic information about finding your sound ... [I am not a pro, so I would not give anyone help about using effects or how to do a mastering ... ]

lg alex

21.12.2013, 21:43 Profile of ALY Add ALY to your Buddy-List Email to ALY
SAS
Administrator

Date Registered:

SAS ist offline
         Go on top to this Page

"Professional" heavily depends on who's hearing your tracks and what gear you have.
Like: the average listener probably says "wow, pro track!" when you manage to get all stuff in your song audible to him. A Mastering Engineer most likely says "WTF? That's crap!"
Its also a question how trained your ears are.

Anyways.. Granted im not a pro and havent done any track in years, here's some suggestion i can give you:

Center low ends. A bassdrum and bassline most likely doesnt need any room in the stereo field.

Cut out frequencies. For example: your bassdrum doesnt need any high frequencies, unless it got a remarkable snap or whatever on it. Same for your high-hats. Some of the free loops, samples or whatever you may get have some low end freq's attached. You actually dont need them.

Dont overdue effects. Being a delay and reverb junkie myself, i often overdo it. But its healthier for your mix to not do so. NEVER use a global reverb on your track. It washes out everything you maybe have worked hard for.

Dont overuse panning, unless you really wanna do the next classical masterpiece. Panning is a nice thing to seperate instruments, but having that annoying cowbell for 5 mins straight on your left ear sucks.

Finally,: The loudness:

There's a VERY thin line between being "loud enough" and ruining your track.
While its a "standard" these days being as "loud" as possible, you can fuck up a whole track with overdoing it.
Pushing loudness to its limit, can mean your track losses all dynamics you maybe pushed your effort into.

So all i can suggest is, listen to your track on as many gear possible. Headphones while doing it, Stereo, cellphone, car, kitchen radio, laptop and even the sound next door.

Final thing: Listen to your track in mono. Effects may cancel out freq's and the mofo great pad you just created isnt audible at all. If it sound good in mono, it sounds even better in Stereo. Hint: Many clubs have a MONO setup on speakers.

And yes, all that can be achieved right in Psycle, granted you have the right plugins. Be 'em bought or "found"

Cheers!
SAS

27.12.2013, 18:47 Profile of SAS Add SAS to your Buddy-List Homepage of SAS Add SAS to your Contact-List AIM Screenname: S0l4RiS YIM Screenname: who's using YIM ???
ksn
Administrator

Date Registered:

ksn ist offline
         Go on top to this Page

quote:
Original by SAS
Final thing: Listen to your track in mono. Effects may cancel out freq's and the mofo great pad you just created isnt audible at all. If it sound good in mono, it sounds even better in Stereo.

An essential tip !
And this goes the same with low volume : if you can hear everything and it sounds good at low volume, it will sound even better at high volume

28.12.2013, 10:11 Profile of ksn Add ksn to your Buddy-List Homepage of ksn Add ksn to your Contact-List
Angelus
Psycler

Date Registered:

Angelus ist offline
         Go on top to this Page

I usually mix in mono mode first. If it sounds good in mono, it will rock in stereo. To do this it is great to have an effect to separate both the mid signal (mono) and the side information from the stereo wave to work both signals separately. You must to encode first the stereo R/L signal into a M/S signal, work them separately and lately encode the modified M/S into the R/L signal. A nice plugin to encode/decode M/S is MSED by Voxengo. A spectrum analyzer will be of help too (SPAN can show you mid/side information too).

(???)Oo. X( :( :| :) :)) :D .cC(Psycle!)

28.12.2013, 15:11 Profile of Angelus Add Angelus to your Buddy-List
Oceanroc
Psycler

Date Registered:

Oceanroc ist offline
         Go on top to this Page

thanks everyone. This board is the only place I can turn for advice online....

02.01.2014, 22:03 Profile of Oceanroc Add Oceanroc to your Buddy-List Homepage of Oceanroc
Voltrom
Psycler

Date Registered:

Voltrom ist offline
         Go on top to this Page

Hello Oceanroc.

THe best advise, which i`ve got from an Audio-Engineer is, you do not have to invent the wheel again, simply take a track you like and know in good quality and try to sound exactly the same. (frequency-wise of course)

Helped me a lot.

Voltrom/electronictriphop
.A#.Electro(Breaks)

06.01.2014, 21:40 Profile of Voltrom Add Voltrom to your Buddy-List Email to Voltrom
shadowbane
Psycler

Date Registered:

shadowbane ist offline
         Go on top to this Page

Another good place to get advice about mixing/mastering stuff is over at SDCompo. I have learned a ton from the people over there and they are all super nice.

07.01.2014, 21:59 Profile of shadowbane Add shadowbane to your Buddy-List
  « Previous Thread Next Thread »
Thread closed
Jump to:

© 2002-2007 psycledelics | Powered by Woltlab Burning Board v1 Beta4.5e ©2001 Woltlab GbR|Setup & mod for psycledelics by: SAS