PSYCLE's home     
     since may 2000
  news / home  files songs boards links all registered members about psycledelics Statistics    
╗ Welcome to -psycledelics-. If this is your 1st visit please read the FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions You must register before you can post here: Please click above on Registration to register yourself. You do not need to register if you only want to read Threads.
Login with Username & Password:

Remember me on this PC.
-psycledelics-DiscussionsMAIN BOARD ╗ Important question: GPL and my external programm
« Previous Thread Next Thread » Show a Printable Version  Send this to a Friend  Add to Favorites
Thread closed
Author

Date Registered:

1024 ist offline
  Important question: GPL and my external programm        Go on top to this Page

Hi

I have aplication with C#. This app have commercial .dll...

My app can communicate with other applications - socket server.

- I can use psycle tracker as external program with hidden GUI for my programm ?

I need informations. My program is free but, he have commercial dll and in future I use in my program links for www (in www commercial products etc)

I can modify psycle without gui ? I can create socket connections ? I can use this as external app ? Not in my source program C#. Two diffrend process in memory with socket communications. Only import modules, play, stop, volume control. This will work as player, without gui.

This is possible ?

Mark

16.04.2011, 21:15 Profile of 1024 Add 1024 to your Buddy-List Email to 1024
[JAZ]
Psycle Developer

Date Registered:

[JAZ] ist offline
         Go on top to this Page

Hello.

First, using an external program (i.e. running an .exe, be it hidden or not) is not considered as using the source. In that case, the license of your program wouldn't matter.

When there is actual linking of libraries, that depends. A statically linked library is considered using the source, and as such, the program would need to be GPL.
Using the source as a .dll is sort of a grey area. To be really free of problems, the .dll should be using the LGPL instead of the GPL.

Now, since you are talking specifically about Psycle, I would like to ask what exact requirements do you need? Right now there exists a winamp plugin dll ( in_psycle.dll ). It doesn't allow much control, but loading, simple seeking (more like skip to pattern x) and, of course, playback is supported. I wonder if you would be better served with that instead of trying to modify Psycle.

We had the intention of having the engine of Psycle completely separated of the program, so that anyone could made a player or even a replacement tracker. This is known as psycle-core, but that dll is not fully compatible with current Psycle.
As such, I recommend you to get the in_psycle route for now.

Other than that, if you modify Psycle in any way, you should made those modifications public. (Psycle used to not have a license, but the engine has been modified a lot and most of the sources are now GPL).

17.04.2011, 02:03 Profile of [JAZ] Add [JAZ] to your Buddy-List

Date Registered:

1024 ist offline
         Go on top to this Page

Hi

Thank you for reply. My english is very easy. I try tell you what I need understand. Pleas tell me only yes or no.

I have situation:

1. I run my program.exe
2. My program.exe start psycle_process.exe
3. My program and psycle_process - two clients - socket server connection.

4. My program send command: import_song| c:\\test.psy|

5. Psycle_process.exe without GUI, he try import file .psy from disc. When import is ok, he send for program.exe command: import_ok|

6. Program.exe read this and send new command: play_song

7. Psycle_process.exe now playing song.

======================================

Psycle_process.exe - proces windows without gui GPL ( for all people )

Program.exe - my program with gui, not for all people.

This is possible ?

Psycle_process.exe - will be only proces in memory for playing songs from vst plugis.

All comands: import, play, stop, volume change, close

I don't need xm mod or other player, I need player as proces with vst plugins in songs - realtime.

This is possible ? I can ? I cant ?

Mark

17.04.2011, 06:13 Profile of 1024 Add 1024 to your Buddy-List Email to 1024
[JAZ]
Psycle Developer

Date Registered:

[JAZ] ist offline
         Go on top to this Page

psycle_process.exe -> GPL -> You need to make public the sources of that modification.

program.exe -> not affected. Can be closed source.

The answer is yes, you can do what you ask. The only requirement is to release the sources of psycle_process.exe.

17.04.2011, 10:51 Profile of [JAZ] Add [JAZ] to your Buddy-List

Date Registered:

1024 ist offline
         Go on top to this Page

Psycle can be LGPL ? :> Maybe someone planned create psycle player without gui - only as process ? As client connected to socket server ? :> If someone have informations please contact.

Or my question, how I must pay for this ?

24.04.2011, 22:42 Profile of 1024 Add 1024 to your Buddy-List Email to 1024
[JAZ]
Psycle Developer

Date Registered:

[JAZ] ist offline
         Go on top to this Page

The GPL license is not about money. It is about rights to use and modify the source.

"Paying" = share the source code of your modifications of Psycle.

Psycle, the tracker, will not become LGPL. The engine (psycle-core.dll) will probably become LGPL, but that is not finished yet.

25.04.2011, 22:27 Profile of [JAZ] Add [JAZ] to your Buddy-List

Date Registered:

1024 ist offline
         Go on top to this Page

Sorry for my english. I try again.

My question: How I must pay for someone for change code. I need add socket server and commands for psycle player.

This player will be avaiable for free GPL for all people.

I need only informations how much I must pay for create this for all people. This be avaiable for all people.

25.04.2011, 22:42 Profile of 1024 Add 1024 to your Buddy-List Email to 1024
  « Previous Thread Next Thread »
Thread closed
Jump to:

© 2002-2007 psycledelics | Powered by Soyacosplay.com ©2001 Woltlab GbR|Setup & mod for psycledelics by: SAS