PSYCLE's home     
     since may 2000
  news / home  files songs boards links all registered members about psycledelics Statistics    
╗ Welcome to -psycledelics-. If this is your 1st visit please read the FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions You must register before you can post here: Please click above on Registration to register yourself. You do not need to register if you only want to read Threads.
Login with Username & Password:

Remember me on this PC.
-psycledelics-DiscussionsMAIN BOARD ╗ The Sequencer Bar buttons usage [poll]
« Previous Thread Next Thread » Show a Printable Version  Send this to a Friend  Add to Favorites
Thread closed
Poll: Your favorite button is...
[+, -, ++, --]
[New]
[Clone]
[Ins]
[Del]
[Cut, Copy, Paste]
[Clear]
[Sort]
[Show pattern names] checked?
all ^_^
Result
Author

Date Registered:

Sallecta ist offline
  The Sequencer Bar buttons usage [poll]        Go on top to this Page

Hi, Psyclers

I'm just interested how you use the buttons of sequences bar. I know about what they are for, but I found only few of them useful.
Let's talk about it starting from my usage statistics:

[+] - I have no wish to deal with pattern position numbers...

[-] - ...without "full window" sequencer...

[++]... drag and drop...

[--]... and "candy" look-n-feel , so these functions just confuse me

[New] - I newer use it, since Psycle by default has one empty pattern

[Clone] - My favorite button, can't imagine psycling without clone pattern function

[Ins] - has no usability for me, cozz I prefer to have "unique" pattern at each sequence position, it keeps me safe when I want to add some additional element into any sequence position, so I can free myself from the question "am I editing the original pattern or my edits will affect some other place in the sequence?"

[Del] - really good button, the second after the Clone))

[Cut] - no wish to cut something invisible, for me, it's better to select the needed tracks/blocks inside the pattern and cut/copy/paste it - I see exactly what elements I access

[Copy] - see above

[Paste] - see above

[Clear] - sometimes useful function, especially when I want to start a track based on other track, this function clears all the patterns and gives me a "template" with set of samples, synths and effects

[Sort] - useful when I get the psy source with "+,-,++,--" sequence style, this function will convert the sequence into "my" approach.

[Show pattern names] - is always checked, cozz it's better for me to deal with pattern names instead of pattern numbers

That's all, hope you enjoyed the text)) Now share your feelings regarding to the subject.

01.02.2011, 21:44 Profile of Sallecta Add Sallecta to your Buddy-List Email to Sallecta Homepage of Sallecta Add Sallecta to your Contact-List
FriendlyStranger

Date Registered:

FriendlyStranger ist offline
         Go on top to this Page

Yep, the Clone button is my favorite also

I do use Sort quite a bit since it drives me crazy when pattern numbers are out of order. And Cut and Paste come in useful when I want to reorganize things. But I can't imagine ever using the Ins button - even if I have two patterns end being identical, I always wanna have the option to change one of them separately.

03.02.2011, 09:16 Profile of FriendlyStranger Add FriendlyStranger to your Buddy-List Email to FriendlyStranger
[JAZ]
Psycle Developer

Date Registered:

[JAZ] ist offline
         Go on top to this Page

You've basically nailed it down, there are two ways to use a tracker: As a single line sequence, and as a sequence of blocks.

Probably, the +/++/-/--- buttons are less useful today than when Psycle started, because of all the other buttons, but they are interesting when creating a sequence out of small parts and so changing the order to try which one sounds better. In this regard, cut/copy/paste can also help, since then you can duplicate the sequence and change just part of it (the position, not the patterns) until you're satisfied.

None is better than the other, it's just a matter of using what is more adequate to the user.

Said that, if this is an attempt to redefine that bar, I'm all ears

03.02.2011, 20:00 Profile of [JAZ] Add [JAZ] to your Buddy-List
shadowbane

Date Registered:

shadowbane ist offline
         Go on top to this Page

I don't even know how the + and - buttons work...

I use the clone and cut/paste buttons a lot, and haven't found the need to learn the others.

04.02.2011, 05:50 Profile of shadowbane Add shadowbane to your Buddy-List
Roel Smit

Date Registered:

Roel Smit ist offline
         Go on top to this Page

As I recall I only use the clone and delete buttons.
Sometimes, after cloning a lot of patterns, I use cut and paste to copy them to where I want.

I never wondered what the +,-,++,-- buttons do...

04.02.2011, 18:20 Profile of Roel Smit Add Roel Smit to your Buddy-List Email to Roel Smit
Sallecta

Date Registered:

Sallecta ist offline
         Go on top to this Page

Psyclers, don't forget to state your favorite button, please. So we can summarize the most favorite sequencer button in our community

05.02.2011, 13:44 Profile of Sallecta Add Sallecta to your Buddy-List Email to Sallecta Homepage of Sallecta Add Sallecta to your Contact-List
dark_virus

Date Registered:

dark_virus ist offline
         Go on top to this Page

My favs are: "Clone", "New" and "Del".

I'm really confused about the others.

16.04.2011, 04:34 Profile of dark_virus Add dark_virus to your Buddy-List Homepage of dark_virus
[JAZ]
Psycle Developer

Date Registered:

[JAZ] ist offline
         Go on top to this Page

I have done some changes to the sequence that I plan to release on next beta, comming soon.

http://psycle.free.fr/josepma/new-sequence.png

Basically, I've reduced the number of buttons to those that are used the most: those that add a new pattern (new, clone and ins), and those that change the index (+1 -1 and +10).

With that, I've moved them to the top of the view, and made the sequence list wider. This allows already to show longer pattern names, and is necessary to have more space for a multitrack sequence (whenever I am ready to do that).

Editing buttons (cut, copy, paste and delete) are already available now on the Main "Edit" menu, but will also be available on a popup menu showing when rightclicking the list.

16.04.2011, 17:07 Profile of [JAZ] Add [JAZ] to your Buddy-List
dark_virus

Date Registered:

dark_virus ist offline
         Go on top to this Page

[JAZ] That would be an important improvement in that section! Can't wait do see it available!!

17.04.2011, 06:39 Profile of dark_virus Add dark_virus to your Buddy-List Homepage of dark_virus
  « Previous Thread Next Thread »
Thread closed
Jump to:

© 2002-2007 psycledelics | Powered by Soyacosplay.com ©2001 Woltlab GbR|Setup & mod for psycledelics by: SAS