PSYCLE's home     
     since may 2000
  news / home  files songs boards links all registered members about psycledelics Statistics    
Welcome to -psycledelics-. If this is your 1st visit please read the FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions You must register before you can post here: Please click above on Registration to register yourself. You do not need to register if you only want to read Threads.
Login with Username & Password:

Remember me on this PC.
-psycledelics- Discussions TIPS BOARD How to create pads?
« Previous Thread Next Thread » Show a Printable Version  Send this to a Friend  Add to Favorites
Thread closed
Author

Date Registered:

watermint ist offline
  How to create pads?        Go on top to this Page

So I'm new to these kinds of music programs (but not new to composing) and have been making small little compositions here and there and making new sounds to use on future songs. However, I'm having trouble creating sounds that would go well as accompaniments (like warm pads or something.) Any advice on how to get started?

27.02.2010, 19:09 Profile of watermint Add watermint to your Buddy-List Email to watermint
shadowbane

Date Registered:

shadowbane ist offline
         Go on top to this Page

To make a pad you should (as a general rule) have reasonably long attack and release, with a slow LFO or 2 changing the sound (in any way, just so that it isn't constant.) As to the actual sound, I find it is often helpful to have pads stretch a couple of octaves.. That's just me though. Really all you can do is open up synths and tweak knobs until you get something you like.

Another note, the phantom synth included with psycle is good for pads. The FM ones should be too, but they are FM synths (and not easy to learn)

~ShadowBane

28.02.2010, 00:08 Profile of shadowbane Add shadowbane to your Buddy-List
Angelus

Date Registered:

Angelus ist offline
         Go on top to this Page

watermint: The advantage of Psycle (and related music software) is that you can modify with effects the sound generated by.... wave generators. You can start with a simple chord from a generator machine and add some effects plugins as filters, reverbs, distortion, and so on, to modify the starting sound.

In the following example I'd done some time ago, you can listen how I'd started with a simple chord from Phantom machine and how it is modified with tweaks along the tune up to be a pad sound. I'd started modifying the Phantom amplitude attack, following variations on Arguru Reverb and filter plugin with resonance/Q.

LINK: Pad Test

(???)Oo. X( :( :| :) :)) :D .cC(Psycle!)

28.02.2010, 15:14 Profile of Angelus Add Angelus to your Buddy-List
shadowbane

Date Registered:

shadowbane ist offline
         Go on top to this Page

Yeah, the interface of psycle makes it work pretty well for modular synth type setups. Not quite as much control as real modular synths, but those get really confusing really quickly anyway.

28.02.2010, 21:00 Profile of shadowbane Add shadowbane to your Buddy-List
Angelus

Date Registered:

Angelus ist offline
         Go on top to this Page

I've uploaded a small tutorial about how creating pads based in the pad used in the tune I've posted in my previous reply in this thread. Please follow this link and download the zipped file. There's a txt file where I explain the steps for pad creation.

I hope you will find it useful.

(???)Oo. X( :( :| :) :)) :D .cC(Psycle!)

20.03.2010, 18:25 Profile of Angelus Add Angelus to your Buddy-List
Davids

Date Registered:

Davids ist offline
         Go on top to this Page

watermint: The advantage of Psycle (and related music software) is that you can modify with effects the sound generated by.... wave generators. You can start with a simple chord from a generator machine and add some effects plugins as filters, reverbs, distortion, and so on, to modify the starting sound.

To make a pad you should have reasonably long attack and release, with a slow LFO or 2 changing the sound (in any way, just so that it isn't constant.) As to the actual sound, I find it is often helpful to have pads stretch a couple of octaves.. That's just me though. Really all you can do is open up synths and tweak knobs until you get something you like.
Another note, the phantom synth included with psycle is good for pads. The FM ones should be too, but they are FM synths

05.04.2010, 08:00 Profile of Davids Add Davids to your Buddy-List Email to Davids
  « Previous Thread Next Thread »
Thread closed
Jump to:

© 2002-2007 psycledelics | Powered by Woltlab Burning Board v1 Beta4.5e ©2001 Woltlab GbR|Setup & mod for psycledelics by: SAS