PSYCLE's home     
     since may 2000
  news / home  files songs boards links all registered members about psycledelics Statistics    
ŧ Welcome to -psycledelics-. If this is your 1st visit please read the FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions You must register before you can post here: Please click above on Registration to register yourself. You do not need to register if you only want to read Threads.
Login with Username & Password:

Remember me on this PC.
-psycledelics- ŧ Discussions ŧ PSY TUNES BOARD ŧ Beginner's beginners
« Previous Thread Next Thread » Show a Printable Version  Send this to a Friend  Add to Favorites
Thread closed
Author

Date Registered:

marvin ist offline
  Beginner's beginners        Go on top to this Page

Hello

Two months ago I decided to try to make some noise and by chance Psycle was the choice. I browsed some forum and read the recommendation.

So, I am still learning how to use a tracker, and have no experience with other music software, but here is what I "produced".

http://python.users.cg.yu/psy/

Pianoexp3 took me much time, but it sounds like drunk musician trying to read the notes; I guess it needs more tempo for precision. Training is a tune I used to see how rhythm is made. Strings2 is my first song.

Those are more exercise that songs, but I hope I'll put something on this site when I'm satisfied with the work.

Any comments?

23.06.2007, 11:49 Profile of marvin Add marvin to your Buddy-List
sampler

Date Registered:

sampler ist offline
         Go on top to this Page

hi marvin

I've heard ur 'songs', it's funny, they have reminded me when i started (around 15 years ago).

nice, from now in you'll learn a lot, discover many things and will improve ur skills.

enjoy it.

If you have any problem/question ask us, here or in #psycle.

Welcome

23.06.2007, 14:04 Profile of sampler Add sampler to your Buddy-List Add sampler to your Contact-List AIM Screenname: jegln6 YIM Screenname: jegln6
MfM

Date Registered:

MfM ist offline
         Go on top to this Page

hi marvin welcome here,i just listened to your songs.
i thought about the same as sampler,they sounds like my old mods (15 years ago for me too).
some advices...
first of all you have to learn how tracker works,after you should take some basic music lessons(i don't know if you did it )and so you can try to compose something.
start from little and simple thing,and always take a look to others tracks,we have a very large amount of music in psy format on the song section.
in the ancient days people usually were impressed by some "special fx"which old master trackers did with pattern, high speed composition,jump around pages,stop and go fastly and something like this and sometimes the incredible scroll up effect.
of course here nobody is more interested on that because sometimes nobody watch the psy of a song...no more!
but is what you have to do for learnign important things,if the psy doesn't sound good for the massive use of vsts,mute all the tracks except the one you wanna hear to,and study his composition between the tracks.
and of course ask to some old trackers some question if you need,here are full of old and good trackers,join on #psycle channel to freely talk with someone...

cheers MfM

23.06.2007, 16:01 Profile of MfM Add MfM to your Buddy-List
marvin

Date Registered:

marvin ist offline
         Go on top to this Page

Mfm, you made me put finger on my forehead... What sounds so awful that you asked me if I had any basic musical lessons? (Btw, no.) Not that I'm asking for private tutorial, but I'd like to know.

I'm not sure I understand "nobody watch the psy of a song...no more!". What do you mean?

Thanks to both for the feedback!

PS
Topic should have been "beginner's beginnings", but I made a mistake. Anyway, not important.

23.06.2007, 18:07 Profile of marvin Add marvin to your Buddy-List
psyct

Date Registered:

psyct ist offline
         Go on top to this Page

Hi Marvin,

I like Your tune string2. Itīs very much in the near of a score. I would like to play a little bit with it.
Is this OK for You?
If YES the first attempt will take about two weeks.

psyct

23.06.2007, 22:24 Profile of psyct Add psyct to your Buddy-List
marvin

Date Registered:

marvin ist offline
         Go on top to this Page

No problem, feel free to experiment. Interesting thing with it that I was very disappointed when I realised that cello and English waltz rhythm resembles "Nocturne" (by Secret Garden). I haven't heard it for a long time, but a friend of mine says that I'm wrong and that has no resemblance at all. Not sure, to be honest.

23.06.2007, 23:02 Profile of marvin Add marvin to your Buddy-List
psyct

Date Registered:

psyct ist offline
         Go on top to this Page

Well, fine, thank You!

Itīs the first time that i put my dirty little fingers whitch are consequently guided from my schizo-brain on another psyclers work (har, har! ).
In approx. 2 weeks I will SOMETHING have done!
We will see...

Secret Gardenīs "Nocturne" is for me also quite another thing (The video is an harmfull accident in film history, Iīd like to remark.)

Your peace gives me some pictures.
And thatīs were Iīll start.
BTW: The first step is allready done:
I put the volumes down...

Keep on psycling and let the good times roll and roll and

End of message/psyct

24.06.2007, 01:52 Profile of psyct Add psyct to your Buddy-List
FingerSoup

Date Registered:

FingerSoup ist offline
         Go on top to this Page

quote:
Original by marvin
Mfm, you made me put finger on my forehead... What sounds so awful that you asked me if I had any basic musical lessons? (Btw, no.) Not that I'm asking for private tutorial, but I'd like to know.

The lack of formal training is evident in pianoexp3. the notes don't necessarily follow a rhythm or tempo. the other 2 are just very sparse, and don't show anything about a full balanced sound. It lacked emotion - similar to someone learning a new instrument. It's not an insulting thing, or an awful sounding thing - just evident. Nobody without formal training would disregard these things without trying to make a statement - ie: trying to be minimalist, or introduce a theme of disarray. I

t's more of a constructive criticism thing. You don't need formal training, but it helps to understand musical timing, tempo, harmony, etc... in order to shape your sound. Thousands of Blues guitarists never had formal training, but ended up making some wonderful music anyways. (You could be like Robert Johnson and sell your soul to the devil - but there's not enough money to be made in tracking to justify that )

It can also help you learn tracking. I learned how to track by transcribing sheet music into a tracker (guitar Tab actually)... I think I've got Paranoid Android by Radiohead laying around somewhere in an old IT file... I happened to pay attention to music class in grade school for the basics, and learned guitar in high school. It doesn't have to be an EXPENSIVE education, or a classical education. Just enouch to know what the notes are.....

25.06.2007, 21:03 Profile of FingerSoup Add FingerSoup to your Buddy-List
MfM

Date Registered:

MfM ist offline
         Go on top to this Page

hi marvin
nothing is so awful to let me think that you need some musical lessons,i said it as a general purpouse.

"nobody watch the psy of a song,no more!"

-it simply means that many musicians today release their tracks in mp3 format only,and doensn't update the relative .psy of a song.
what i called "ancient days"were the days where any trackers for obvious reasons had to diffuse their music only in tracker format.
this solution it's the best for the newbie like i was in the '90, to learning how to compose some music.
from those old .mods tracks,i learnt lots of things in terms of music compositions,and of course also some good effects.
in the past some good musicians expressed his skills inserting some amazing tracker visual effects in their tracks.
you can see what you are listen to,that's is really cool imho
and that's the main thing we lost nowadays.
but we got internet to diffuse our knowledges,that's surely simpler than the past...
let me know if you understtod the essence of my reply

have a nice day!

26.06.2007, 14:32 Profile of MfM Add MfM to your Buddy-List
marvin

Date Registered:

marvin ist offline
         Go on top to this Page

I like criticism, I think it is very constructive, and a bit of a luxury, so than you all again for your posts.

I understand that this is the beginning, and a lot of (pleasant) work is to be done, so for the start I'll try to transcribe a lovely guitar instrumental. And as far as music theory goes, for a crash course there's excelent http://www.smu.edu/totw . So, following FingerSoup's tips...

Mfm, I understand what you say, and I must add that those same *.mod files got my attention, well, some 6 years ago. They were filled with "pc can do well as weel as amiga" notes It took me some time to find Psycle and make my first song.

Btw, I don't know about that visual effect in early tracker songs, I'll try to find somethong.

28.06.2007, 23:37 Profile of marvin Add marvin to your Buddy-List
  « Previous Thread Next Thread »
Thread closed
Jump to:

© 2002-2007 psycledelics | Powered by Woltlab Burning Board v1 Beta4.5e ©2001 Woltlab GbR|Setup & mod for psycledelics by: SAS