PSYCLE's home     
     since may 2000
  news / home  files songs boards links all registered members about psycledelics Statistics    
» Welcome to -psycledelics-. If this is your 1st visit please read the FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions You must register before you can post here: Please click above on Registration to register yourself. You do not need to register if you only want to read Threads.
Login with Username & Password:

Remember me on this PC.
-psycledelics- » Discussions » TIPS BOARD » lost and scared...and kinda hungry
« Previous Thread Next Thread » Show a Printable Version  Send this to a Friend  Add to Favorites
Thread closed
Author

Date Registered:

ajag ist offline
  lost and scared...and kinda hungry        Go on top to this Page

first off, i'm brand-spanking new to the wonderful world of tracking and such...

i used to use sorceforge's Acid... and after sometime of slapping other people's loops together, i wanted to make my own tunes...

secondly...i suck...more than a vaccuum cleaner..even more than a $3 hooker with no teeth...

and because i have no background with trackers or hexadecimals or midi or synths etc...
i was wondering if there was somewhere where i can learn it all...

i doubt anyone would like to sit down and explain what every knob does on the sythns (cuz i reeeeally wanna know..some of the random presets are crazy)

is there a book of some sort that explains it all from the very basics in plain english? (not using more tech words)

help would be much appreciated..
ajajajajag

12.03.2002, 21:09 Profile of ajag Add ajag to your Buddy-List
alk

Date Registered:

alk ist offline
         Go on top to this Page

I'm sure there are tracker tutorials out there.. however feel free to call into #psycle on efnet and pick our brains

--alk

Last edited by alk on 12.03.2002, 21:26 o'clock.

12.03.2002, 21:25 Profile of alk Add alk to your Buddy-List
ajag

Date Registered:

ajag ist offline
         Go on top to this Page

efnet??? sorry to be such an ignoramus...but how would i go about doing that
*as dumb as a doorknob that failed gr1*
spanks and thanks
ajag

14.03.2002, 02:43 Profile of ajag Add ajag to your Buddy-List
FingerSoup

Date Registered:

FingerSoup ist offline
         Go on top to this Page

Ahh... Let me introduce you to the ways of the tracker.

The preferred chat method of trackers is typically IRC. IRC stands for Internet Relay Chat. It's a place where you can talk, send files to each other, or just idle around and eat CPU time and bandwitdh.

Download mIRC and install it. it's shareware, but it doesn't bug you much if you don't register.

EFNET is a network of IRC servers. In other words, I connect to an EFNET server in Canada, and you connect to an IRC server in (Insert country/state/province here) and we can talk. There are hundreds of networks, but the main ones are EFNET and DALnet.

On the network, you have channels. Think of this as a large chat room. Anyone can join, and talk to each other. If you want to Private Message someone, you can /msg them. Here is a typical set of things to type once connected to EFNET

/join #psycle

Hello World!
/msg FingerSoup Hey, I got a secret.
How do I do XXXXXXX In Psycle?
/me understands completely

There's file transfer stuff, but I'll let you mull over that.. You've got alot of playing around in mIRC to do now

I will see if I have time to rewrite an article on psycle usage... I had a decent one written for static line magazine, but I just lost it in a HD crash.

Pikari, if you are reading, could you e-mail it to me if you still have a copy from when you proofread it?

14.03.2002, 04:38 Profile of FingerSoup Add FingerSoup to your Buddy-List
ksn

Date Registered:

ksn ist offline
         Go on top to this Page

hello ajag ! did you try the "upwego" tutorial on the docs page ?

14.03.2002, 09:30 Profile of ksn Add ksn to your Buddy-List Homepage of ksn Add ksn to your Contact-List
Pikari

Date Registered:

Pikari ist offline
         Go on top to this Page

Fingersoup: I still have the tutorial in my mIRC/downloads folder. So just send me your mail address (private message).

14.03.2002, 17:04 Profile of Pikari Add Pikari to your Buddy-List Homepage of Pikari Add Pikari to your Contact-List
ajag

Date Registered:

ajag ist offline
         Go on top to this Page

thanks fingersoup...
i'll be bugging you all soon enough now...

and yup ksn, i read the tutorial... it was helpful (so That's why i can't hear anything) but i still don't get what does what on the synths and such...

i found a pretty good faq page but i really dont' understand compuspeak...

well, hopefully i won't have to bother you guys with my ignorance too much more after i get mIRC..

ajag

14.03.2002, 17:12 Profile of ajag Add ajag to your Buddy-List
FingerSoup

Date Registered:

FingerSoup ist offline
         Go on top to this Page

Well, If you want to learn compuspeak, heres some:

Hexadecimal = Base 16 (as opposed to base 10, for us human beings with 10 fingers and 10 toes.)

Hex was written as a short form for binary. Here is a quick lookup table:

code:

Dec HEX BINARY
0 0 0000
1 1 0001
2 2 0010
3 3 0011
4 4 0100
5 5 0101
6 6 0110
7 7 0111
8 8 1000
9 9 1001
10 A 1010
11 B 1011
12 C 1100
13 D 1101
14 E 1110
15 F 1111

So if a computer was counting our fingers and toes we would have A fingers and A toes.

If you see 2 hex digits next to each other, just put the binary representation after one another then convert to decimal.

BD = 1011 1101

Converting Binary to Decimal and vice versa, is easy.
Make a chart of the powers of 2, starting from 128

code:

128 64 32 16 8 4 2 1
---------------------------------
1 0 1 1 1 1 0 1

you add up the numbers where there are 1's. therefore 128+32+16+8+4+2+1 = 189

To convert to binary, start at 128 and divide. Place the whole number result under the number you divided, then work with the remainder (modulus). If modulus (mod) is 0, fill in the rest of the columns with 0's.
189 / 128 = 1 mod 61
61 / 64 = 0 mod 61
61 / 32 = 1 mod 29
29 / 16 = 1 mod 13
13 / 8 = 1 mod 5
5 / 4 = 1 mod 1
1 / 2 = 0 mod 1
1 / 1 = 1 mod 0

Thus you get:
1011 1101
which is BD in hex

So as an exercise, let us know What the following geek-related values are in Hex:

27 (the age at which famous artists die- Jimi Hendrix, Kurt Cobain)
42 (the answer to life, the universe and everything)
69 (To quote Monty Python, life can be fine...)
192 (The amount of memory in my computer, because I can't think of any more geeky numbers )

And convert the following to Decimal

E3
AD
BC
42 (this is Hex)

15.03.2002, 00:16 Profile of FingerSoup Add FingerSoup to your Buddy-List
[JAZ]
Psycle Developer

Date Registered:

[JAZ] ist offline
         Go on top to this Page

LOL! X·DDDDDDDDDDD

Didn't know that part of you fingersoup, as a teacher! hahahahhahaa! :·PPPPPPPPP

ajag : You can consider that as Undocummented. It is specific of each "sound device" (I don't like the term "machine").

Generally, in synthetizers you have:

Oscillators : Define the type of the wave signal. Generally they represent directly the sound, but sometimes they can act over other values like modifiers.

VCA : Controls the Amplitude (Volume). it is defined by an ADSR control ( Attack, Decay, Sustain Level and Release). /"-. <- sort of "envelope" representation.

Attack is the time it takes from volume 0 to max volume.
Decay is the time it takes from max volume to the sustain level.
Sustain level: It is the volume at which the volume stays till you noteOff the signal.
Release is the time it takes from sustain level to 0 when you've pressed noteOff.

If you set Sustain level to 100%, then you don't need decay time.
If you set Sustain level to 0%, then you don't need release time because the note stops when it reaches 0% (no need of NoteOff)
VCF : Controls the Filter. It works like the VCA

LFO : "Low Frequency Oscillator". It is an Oscillator which is used generally for Filter and modifies the value slowly.
It might be used with the pitch also, and then you'd have Vibrato. If used with the Amplitude, then you have Tremolo. And if used with the Panning, you have Panbrello.

Btw.. Pikari. If you click on the [ - pm - ] button under each post, you actually SEND a private message to that person.

15.03.2002, 11:05 Profile of [JAZ] Add [JAZ] to your Buddy-List
Pikari

Date Registered:

Pikari ist offline
         Go on top to this Page

Well, what can I say.. excuse me for posting here instead of using a PM :I

15.03.2002, 15:08 Profile of Pikari Add Pikari to your Buddy-List Homepage of Pikari Add Pikari to your Contact-List
FingerSoup

Date Registered:

FingerSoup ist offline
         Go on top to this Page

[JAZ] - I may be a computer Studies student, but I'm also a Sailing instructor. I enjoy teaching. Gives me a better understanding of What I'm doing. That's why I volunteered for that article. I'll post it to Static Line ASAP, and if it's OK with Coplan, I'll post it here as well.

16.03.2002, 00:01 Profile of FingerSoup Add FingerSoup to your Buddy-List
  « Previous Thread Next Thread »
Thread closed
Jump to:

© 2002-2007 psycledelics | Powered by Hivoox.ma ©2001 Woltlab GbR|Setup & mod for psycledelics by: SAS