PSYCLE's home     
     since may 2000
  news / home  files songs boards links all registered members about psycledelics Statistics    
Welcome to -psycledelics-. If this is your 1st visit please read the FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions You must register before you can post here: Please click above on Registration to register yourself. You do not need to register if you only want to read Threads.
Login with Username & Password:

Remember me on this PC.
-psycledelics- Discussions TECH BOARD mod imports
« Previous Thread Next Thread » Show a Printable Version  Send this to a Friend  Add to Favorites
Thread closed
Author
Post [  1  2    »  ]
gnostik

Date Registered:

gnostik ist offline
  mod imports        Go on top to this Page

hi there all

i was just wondering if other people have tried to import mods into psycle 1.8?

when i try it it loads the xm file and lets me play it fine, but i cant actually edit them easily because the samples arent loaded into the sample list drop down menu.

in psycle 1.7.6xx it works fine, just with the new import function in 1.8 it doesnt work.

this is a very useful feature for me as im constantly remixing my old tracks in psycle....can anyone help?

thanks!

bend your thoughts...unveil your soul

07.12.2005, 04:29 Profile of gnostik Add gnostik to your Buddy-List Homepage of gnostik
Sartorius

Date Registered:

Sartorius ist offline
         Go on top to this Page

wait for a new release
and it will be Sampulse, not Sampler...

07.12.2005, 08:13 Profile of Sartorius Add Sartorius to your Buddy-List
FingerSoup

Date Registered:

FingerSoup ist offline
         Go on top to this Page

To Clarify things a little:

Sampulse is the new sampler that has IT/XM compatible commands. It is currently a little buggy. Loading WAV files has therefore been disabled for it.

From what I've seen, the samples will not be in a single pool, but will however be in a pool specific to each sampulse machine. while this makes the job of modifying imported tunes more difficult, there should be a way to import XI instruments, or whatever, into the new sampulse machine, thereby allowing you to update your music more flexibly, as you will be able to load multiple Sampulses, split your instruments up (one per machine) and then apply individual effects to each XI, etc...

Of course this is all just hypothetical. If you like the old style of importing/exporting, then reinstall 1.7.6.2...

07.12.2005, 18:55 Profile of FingerSoup Add FingerSoup to your Buddy-List
[JAZ]
Psycle Developer

Date Registered:

[JAZ] ist offline
         Go on top to this Page

Sartorius and FingerSoup have explained where is the difference between versions 1.7.x and 1.8.

Now, I will enter in more detail with the new importing function and Sampulse.

Psycle, conceptually, is a tracker.
As a tracker, it can play samples, using the sampler machine.
From the beginning, Psycle sampler has been very limited: Almost no commands, no multiple samples per instrument and rather limited instrument and envelope options.
Not to forget that it only supports .wav's and .iff's.

Then there was a person (Satoshi Fujiwara) that created a japanese version of Psycle and started modifying it. One of his modifications was the creation of "XMSampler", which was an extension of the original sampler to be fully compatible with Fastracker's .XM's.
This version didn't develop further, but showed promise, so I decided to port the sampler back to Psycle.

During the porting, I wanted to support not only .XM's, but also Impulse Tracker .IT's. This meant adding more envelopes, more options, more effects... And some in-depth changes.

Right now, the playback engine is quite advanced, but it has two big problems:

Psycle doesn't have a volume column. While it isn't added to the tracker, Sampulse will not be able to play correctly those tracks that have both, a volume effect and a command effect.

Psycle doesn't know what "speed" is ( XM : Fxx, IT: Axx ). Sampulse converts it to "Lines per Beat", but this conversion cannot be accurate (it can only convert 24->1,12->2,6->4,4->6,3->8,2->12,1->24. All other are rounded). I will think about this further. I don't want to implement two incompatible ways of doing the same. I will need to add an option to swich between them.

Now, the BIG WARNING:

Sampulse is being created to supply Psycle with an advanced (in terms of classic tracking) Sampler machine. It is NOT (and i mean it!) a Module Player. I will not guarantee 100% accuracy to any of the formats Imported. In theory, modules will not play correctly. In pratise, this means that some modules will be reproduced partially incorrect.
It is up to the user to fix the module to play as he/she intended.

Ps. More loaders are coming. .mod has been added already, and Sampulse will be able to load .xi's and .iti's, between others.

Ps2: I've been asked to do an .xm export function. (create .xm's in Psycle). This is feasible, but I woudn't be able to guarantee that this modules play exactly the same way on any .XM compatible Player. As i said, Sampulse might (and probably won't) be 100% accurate.

EDIT:

BTW: Right now, each Sampulse has its own set of Instrument/Samples/Channels.
This will change for the next version, being all them shared. This means that Sampulse, as the machine, will act like the current sampler, as in just being a player of the instruments, not a completely independent machine.

07.12.2005, 20:49 Profile of [JAZ] Add [JAZ] to your Buddy-List
gnostik

Date Registered:

gnostik ist offline
         Go on top to this Page

ok...thanks for the replies ppl

its cleared things up for me a bit...might just have to stick to importing with 1.7.6 for the moment tho.

and thanks for the info about the current mod import abilities jaz, ill definetely keep those in mind next time.

so for now...

back to the music!!

mEM

08.12.2005, 06:44 Profile of gnostik Add gnostik to your Buddy-List Homepage of gnostik
Taika-Kim

Date Registered:

Taika-Kim ist offline
         Go on top to this Page

I don't think that 100% accurate importing should be a big priority.
I think it's good that people can import their old XIs and maybe continue unfinished songs, but I just don't see the use for importing already finished songs to Psycle... If one is going to work them over anyway, small changes in how the tune sounds shouldn't be a problem.

And why on EARTH would anybody want to export Psycle tunes back to FT2??

08.12.2005, 18:42 Profile of Taika-Kim Add Taika-Kim to your Buddy-List Homepage of Taika-Kim
FingerSoup

Date Registered:

FingerSoup ist offline
         Go on top to this Page

to enter an Oldskool compo?

Yeah, it's a stretch...

08.12.2005, 21:39 Profile of FingerSoup Add FingerSoup to your Buddy-List
bdzld

Date Registered:

bdzld ist offline
         Go on top to this Page

A volume column would really rock my world tho..

-- -.^ dazzled
www.umbrellacorp.co.uk
iridescence
++

09.12.2005, 01:56 Profile of bdzld Add bdzld to your Buddy-List Homepage of bdzld Add bdzld to your Contact-List
Anaki_Muon

Date Registered:

Anaki_Muon ist offline
         Go on top to this Page

quote:
Original by Taika-Kim
And why on EARTH would anybody want to export Psycle tunes back to FT2??

I wouldn't mind being able to do that. Mod formats are still the norm, or rather expected to a degree, for chip disks... and Psycle has a pretty awesome interface if you ask me. Mind you, it would only work if the only instrument(s) you loaded was Sampulse. Or something.

13.12.2005, 03:36 Profile of Anaki_Muon Add Anaki_Muon to your Buddy-List
_sue_

Date Registered:

_sue_ ist offline
         Go on top to this Page

hmmm... without wanting to sound chinese... "if you'll keep on looking to the past, youll start to walk backwards"... by my mother...

passem bem...

15.12.2005, 03:44 Profile of _sue_ Add _sue_ to your Buddy-List Add _sue_ to your Contact-List
Anaki_Muon

Date Registered:

Anaki_Muon ist offline
  Detours        Go on top to this Page

Who's looking to the past?

I think we can all agree that chiptune is its own style that will be around for quite some time, especially with some minor mainstream use among musicians like Beck or I Am Robot And Proud. Like it or not, "lo fi" is here to stay as a trend and a style. Besides, creative expression in some way or another has always been a manifestation of things from the past.

And, well, chip disks are pretty cool even if you aren't in to the demoscene... I mean, just check this or this out.

Aside from the fact that part of the artform in making chipdisks is to keep the size relatively low, resources already exist for programmers to incorporate audio files in to software like chipdisks quite easily- specifically audio formats of the "mod" variety.

Don't get me wrong- I love making "hi fi" stuff too (oh do I ever love hi fi tricks and treats), and I realize it's not really an option for the makers of Psycle to implement that kind of a feature, but hey, I can still dream can't I?

Last edited by Anaki_Muon on 15.12.2005, 08:24 o'clock.

15.12.2005, 08:23 Profile of Anaki_Muon Add Anaki_Muon to your Buddy-List
_sue_

Date Registered:

_sue_ ist offline
         Go on top to this Page

sure...

but i was refering to software development...not music styles... with a "hi-fi Studio" you can make whatever style you want, low fi or hi fi.

ive started using Modedit on the pc 11 or 12 years ago so i know perfectly what are the advantages of the mod format. what i dont think its cool is software development being halted/restrained because of difficulties in implementing "total" compability with old formats.

18.12.2005, 19:37 Profile of _sue_ Add _sue_ to your Buddy-List Add _sue_ to your Contact-List
Anaki_Muon

Date Registered:

Anaki_Muon ist offline
  ZOMBIE-MONKEYS! EVERYWHERE! ARGH!        Go on top to this Page

Well, I couldn't agree more. Considering Psycle kicks ass and it's freeware, who am I to complain? It's actually pretty sweet!

18.12.2005, 21:24 Profile of Anaki_Muon Add Anaki_Muon to your Buddy-List
_sue_

Date Registered:

_sue_ ist offline
         Go on top to this Page

... like honey...

19.12.2005, 20:50 Profile of _sue_ Add _sue_ to your Buddy-List Add _sue_ to your Contact-List
js

Date Registered:

js ist offline
         Go on top to this Page

quote:
Original by _sue_
hmmm... without wanting to sound chinese... "if you'll keep on looking to the past, youll start to walk backwards"... by my mother...

passem bem...

I totally agree.

Of course, the ability to import soundfonts would have been, in my opinion, a far more useful feature than those other legacy formats - simply due to the greater prevalence of soundfonts on the net.

Last edited by js on 20.12.2005, 07:36 o'clock.

20.12.2005, 07:26 Profile of js Add js to your Buddy-List
FingerSoup

Date Registered:

FingerSoup ist offline
         Go on top to this Page

While Soundfonts are useful, they are a lot harder to make than say, an XI. It's hard to find a decent free/open source soundfont editor. As I like to play with guitar, and edit my own guitar samples, I find the use of "Legacy Tracker Instruments" quite refreshing. Although I lack time right now, I have long wanted to do some time consuming sampling sessions and record a set of Multi-position XI's for each string of a guitar.

20.12.2005, 16:56 Profile of FingerSoup Add FingerSoup to your Buddy-List
gnostik

Date Registered:

gnostik ist offline
         Go on top to this Page

quote:
Original by Taika-Kim
I don't think that 100% accurate importing should be a big priority.
I think it's good that people can import their old XIs and maybe continue unfinished songs, but I just don't see the use for importing already finished songs to Psycle... If one is going to work them over anyway, small changes in how the tune sounds shouldn't be a problem.

i have approx 200 tunes made on fasttracker from earlier days which i never released anywhere...i know of at least 50 of them that i would still like to remake using vsts and the more advanced knowledge i have now.

so while it may not be a big priority for some i would love the opportunity to breathe life into some of my old tracks so that i can one day play them somewhere again...

at the moment a combination of madtracker, modplug tracker and skale tracker are filling the void, but psycle kicks ass on all of those and would be much preferred over these trackers...

so...yeah.

proper xm imports! fuck yeah!

and so on.

21.12.2005, 08:20 Profile of gnostik Add gnostik to your Buddy-List Homepage of gnostik
js

Date Registered:

js ist offline
       Go on top to this Page

Well, my collection of XM files is 0. Therefore, I could'nt care less about proper XM imports. If you want proper XM imports, make it yourself or you'll have to keep on using those other trackers - madtracker, modplug tracker and skale tracker.

The developers won't be making proper XM importation full stop, and I agree 100% with them.

The future not the past, please !!!!

Last edited by js on 23.12.2005, 04:33 o'clock.

23.12.2005, 04:24 Profile of js Add js to your Buddy-List
TranceMyriad

Date Registered:

TranceMyriad ist offline
         Go on top to this Page

haha yeah, my new motto is "if you want a feature, programme it yourself" lol

i personally have no use for mod imports either, and i don't see why mod import has to be 100% accurate - let Josep focus on finishing sampulse, the new VST host and then multipattern....

if it's not accurate enough for you, you could programme it yourself (if you have the knowledge) OR just be happy to do a bit of extra editing.

23.12.2005, 08:54 Profile of TranceMyriad Add TranceMyriad to your Buddy-List Homepage of TranceMyriad
Mattias

Date Registered:

Mattias ist offline
         Go on top to this Page

quote:
Original by TranceMyriad
haha yeah, my new motto is "if you want a feature, programme it yourself" lol

i personally have no use for mod imports either, and i don't see why mod import has to be 100% accurate - let Josep focus on finishing sampulse, the new VST host and then multipattern....

if it's not accurate enough for you, you could programme it yourself (if you have the knowledge) OR just be happy to do a bit of extra editing.

Good motto... Mine is: "The best program is made by yourself"..

BTW Sampulse is very unstable for now...

ACIDPlanet: http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?songs=753767&T=7713

23.12.2005, 13:20 Profile of Mattias Add Mattias to your Buddy-List Homepage of Mattias YIM Screenname: gravity0@jabber.org
[  1  2    »  ]   « Previous Thread Next Thread »
Thread closed
Jump to:

© 2002-2007 psycledelics | Powered by Hivoox.ma ©2001 Woltlab GbR|Setup & mod for psycledelics by: SAS