PSYCLE's home     
     since may 2000
  news / home  files songs boards links all registered members about psycledelics Statistics    
» Welcome to -psycledelics-. If this is your 1st visit please read the FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions You must register before you can post here: Please click above on Registration to register yourself. You do not need to register if you only want to read Threads.
Login with Username & Password:

Remember me on this PC.
-psycledelics- » Discussions » MAIN BOARD » Psycle Help File (errors, suggestions etc)
« Previous Thread Next Thread » Show a Printable Version  Send this to a Friend  Add to Favorites
Thread closed
Author
Post [  «    1  2  ]
bluedigits

Date Registered:

bluedigits ist offline
  Hello:) uite new...        Go on top to this Page

Peace.

I am quite new, and a vocalist who is tired of those who never finish a production project, or dilly dally, so I want to learn to create my own tracks, because at least I know I can trust myself.

I think Psycle is fabulous and am thankful for your generosity in making useful production software available to the financially disadvanaged.

I have a dilemma though, other than being completely new to it all.
I went through the quick tutorial, and followed the directions for adding a machine.

When I try to drag the machine to the master no line or triangle appears, as indicated in the help file...
Can you help?

Thx
Love&Light
-Blu

18.05.2006, 20:03 Profile of bluedigits Add bluedigits to your Buddy-List
[JAZ]
Psycle Developer

Date Registered:

[JAZ] ist offline
         Go on top to this Page

You might have forgotten to press the "shift" key before (and while) dragging. This will start drawing a line instead of moving the machine.

Alternatively, you can use the right mouse button (and no other key required), if you are using version 1.8.1 or newer

18.05.2006, 22:25 Profile of [JAZ] Add [JAZ] to your Buddy-List
bluedigits

Date Registered:

bluedigits ist offline
         Go on top to this Page

Peace

Thankyou
I realized later that I am running v1.82, but just tried your tip and it worked!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thankyou most graciously
I had quite a time with it yesterday, but then when you want something really badly, you can delay it simply by virtue of impatience.

Be blessed.

-Blu

19.05.2006, 14:37 Profile of bluedigits Add bluedigits to your Buddy-List
bizarro

Date Registered:

bizarro ist offline
         Go on top to this Page

I have some questions concerning the organization of the help file:

1) In the /docs/ directory of the Psycle installation there are a bunch of *.txt files. Shouldn't they be included into the help file? At least the tweaking.txt should be imho.

Generally speaking: Imho *.txt files are OK for developers writing down some release notes or so. Every other Information should go into the help file or to the webpage...

2) If some information does not fit well in the help file, shouldnt it go to the sourceforge wiki? (instead of having dozens of different files in the docs directory?)

3) should the help file go to the wiki as well? There is already a link to the .chm file in the documents section of the sourceforge-wiki ("download it directly from the source repository.") but this link doesn't work for me.

If there is some work to do for the wiki, I'll do it.

Greetings - Bizarro

08.08.2006, 20:28 Profile of bizarro Add bizarro to your Buddy-List
[JAZ]
Psycle Developer

Date Registered:

[JAZ] ist offline
         Go on top to this Page

The help file was created recently, for the 1.8.2 release. The .txt files, with some tutorials in this site have been the only reference for a long time.

Of course, the help file is based on those documents, and other information is new. With this i am saying that the .txt files are complementary or even redundant in some ways, not the other way.

In the original wiki, we had more information introduced, and a start for a in-deep documentation of the tracker. When moved to the new wiki only a small part was migrated, and that's why there isn't much information on it.

Maybe now it would be interesting to create some how-to's, and starter manuals in it.

08.08.2006, 23:32 Profile of [JAZ] Add [JAZ] to your Buddy-List
bizarro

Date Registered:

bizarro ist offline
         Go on top to this Page

Thanks for the quick reply.

I took a look at the mentioned "in-deep documentation" in the old wiki. I think it makes sense to merge those docs with the current help file instead of porting it to the new wiki and thus creating concurrent versions of the help file.

So, for now I'll follow your suggestion and see if I can improve the tutorial/howto section in the wiki a bit. Maybe the saying "docendo discimus" (my math professor used to say this) is true an I'll learn something more about psycle, writing docs :-)

Cheers - Bizarro

08.08.2006, 23:55 Profile of bizarro Add bizarro to your Buddy-List
sampler

Date Registered:

sampler ist offline
         Go on top to this Page

Good thing Bizarro. Do it

I feel since months ago (when the wiki changed to the new one) that wiki is really forgotten and it's a pity.

I used to put not so important news on it. I think i'll try to resume doing it

09.08.2006, 00:29 Profile of sampler Add sampler to your Buddy-List Add sampler to your Contact-List AIM Screenname: jegln6 YIM Screenname: jegln6
bizarro

Date Registered:

bizarro ist offline
         Go on top to this Page

I personally love the wiki concept. Its quick, easy and offers a way to present information in an organized way (and psycle needs more organized documentation).

Digging through forums is imho not very appealing, digging through a wiki is fun!

Cheers - Bizarro

09.08.2006, 00:48 Profile of bizarro Add bizarro to your Buddy-List
sampler

Date Registered:

sampler ist offline
         Go on top to this Page

Yes I think the same. I love wikis too, wiki concept. When first Psycle's wiki was released i used to write all news i read (in #psycle), more important and less important. I think there are always ppl interested in all things, things that are not posted on psycledelics main page.

09.08.2006, 08:51 Profile of sampler Add sampler to your Buddy-List Add sampler to your Contact-List AIM Screenname: jegln6 YIM Screenname: jegln6
OneEye

Date Registered:

OneEye ist offline
         Go on top to this Page

...Personally, I would like it if the the default keys for code entry were listed in the "The Interface" -> "Pattern Editor" pages. It would be really nice if, for instance, the "Tweaking Machines" page included the fact that the twk command was usually the accent grave key (`). I realize that these keys are listed in "Keyboard Commands", but it would be very helpful if they were listed under the detail pages as well.

22.10.2006, 06:21 Profile of OneEye Add OneEye to your Buddy-List
Z is for ZOOM

Date Registered:

Z is for ZOOM ist offline
         Go on top to this Page

After a 12 year hiatus, I have returned to the realm of electronic music composition thanks to Psycle.

Having a powerful and free program like this is probably the only way I'd be doing this stuff now.

HOWEVER, there are a lot of things about Psycle that are extremely frustrating, specifically the lack of documentation and simple tutorials.

For example, I'd like to know more about the actual on-screen interface, and what all the buttons do. I'm more inclined to use the on-screen interface as opposed to hot keys. BUT, nowhere is there a detailed description of the on-screen interface and what all the buttons do. There are no pop-up tool tips like I've seen in other programs. So basically, there are things on my screen that there is no documentation for, and no obvious way to learn about them.

For example:

On the left-side sequencer buttons - what does "+", "++", "-" and "--" do???

And why isn't this covered anywhere?

Also, another annoying thing about the help files. Under the information about tweak/tws it says "The difference between "Tweak" and "Tweak Smooth" is self explanatory. "

SORRY, BUT NO it is not self explanatory.

When writing a help file, you have to assume that whomever reading it knows NOTHING about the program.

I'd really like to see better documentation about the sequencer section too. Tutorials on how to do common tasks as well as something about creating complex arrangements.

Something that is very confusing to me is the fact that there are sequence "position" numbers and separate "pattern" numbers for those positions. How about some explanation about that?

Finally, this might be more of a feature request, but in my compositions, I like to fade-in/out certain parts instead of hard starts/stops. There seems to be no easy way to do this, and certainly nothing in the help or tutorials about it.

Obviously twk/tws is one way around this, but a very awkward and clunky way to do it.

Say for example I already have volumes set for the individual instruments to create a decent mix. A certain instrument's parameter volume is 40.56%. Well, how do I translate that into a twk value? Trial and error? UNGH!

05.01.2008, 19:52 Profile of Z is for ZOOM Add Z is for ZOOM to your Buddy-List
dark_virus

Date Registered:

dark_virus ist offline
         Go on top to this Page

Hi, Z! Welcome to Psycledelics!

I feel you. I think the Psycle documentation is a little complicated, even for experienced users. But since it's a work in progress, I'm sure it will be better!

Let's see:

1 - In the help file, take a look at "the interface -> the sequence editor". There you can see the difference between these sequencer commands.

To be honest, I don't use any of them. I found very annoying to delete a drum hit on a pattern and it deletes the same hit on the same position on another pattern. So, I use the "clone" command, since it duplicate the pattern but allows me to edit them individually. I think I still not learned how to use these signals properly.

2 - TWK and TWS: if you use a TWK for a filter sweep, the changes will be percebtible, since the imaginary line of the filtering would be like a staircase. If you use TWS for the same purpose, the line would be a little more smooth, because it include a smooth transition between 2 hex values. So, TWS would be better for this purpose. However, if you want to stop an FX imediatelly, you should put a TWK value on the end of the automation track.

3 - If you're talking about the 00:00 notation at the sequence editor, it's easy (well, maybe not... )

00: stands for the number of patterns.

:00 is the "name" of the pattern. If you choose "show pattern names" right below, you can atribute names to your patterns, like "intro1", "break1-2", etc. It's a relatively new feature, and it's one of the most important, IMO. But I must confess that the :00 seems a little randomic to me, so I can't elaborate more on it...

4 - FADE IN / OUT: check out the "interpolate" function on the right click dialog on the pattern editor. For a smooth fade out, you could put an "ayeternal gainer" on your signal chain, choose an initial hex value, and at the end of the track, a minor value. So, you must select the entire track and right click on it. Then, use the interpolation for a gradual fade out. If you're with the gainer open, you can see the knob moving.

You can use global commands too. For this matter, it'll be the FCxx command. But this is a global track volume command, so it's more suitable for the final fade out. These values can be placed on a spare track, or on one of the parameter values column present in every track.

5 - In order to see the correspondend HEX value of a certain parameter, simply right click on it. Double click on the machine, right click on the knob and you'll see interesting info about that parameter. This is for native machines.

For VST/VSTi, the process is a little more tricky: you can double click the VST/VSTi instance and at the plugin task bar, choose "views -> parameter list". There, you'll see every function of the plugin, as well as its values. So, if you move a knob called "pitch" on a certain synth, you'll see the "pitch" line selected on the box at the right, and its correspondent HEX value below.

Sorry for my english, but I think it's understandable.

Last edited by dark_virus on 05.01.2008, 21:04 o'clock.

05.01.2008, 20:47 Profile of dark_virus Add dark_virus to your Buddy-List Homepage of dark_virus
TranceMyriad

Date Registered:

TranceMyriad ist offline
         Go on top to this Page

The '+', '++' buttons etc are covered in the section on the sequencer bar (in the help file, go to the folder "The Interface" -> "The Sequence Editor".

Alternatively, you could've found it by going to the "Bars" section (probably should've been called 'toolbars' or 'sections of the interface' or something more appropriate) and then going to "Sequencer bar" and clicking on the "+','++' etc buttons on the image to go to the description about them.

If you search for "Tweaking" or "twk" in the index, and then double click on "twk/tws", and select the topic called "Tweaking Machines (Parameter Automation)", you'll see a description about the difference between the two.

So I *think* that all your questions about the functionality of different parts of the interface are covered in the help file (although perhaps the wording could be improved to make it clearer, I did do this quite a while ago). I agree, though, more is needed in the way of basic tutorials.

I'm sure you understand, it's actually a little difficult to look at Psycle from the perspective of a new user when you are so familiar with it! In writing it, I was relying on feedback from new users to develop it further beyond the basic part that just explains the function of the different buttons etc.

The thing is, though, that I no longer maintain the help file, mainly because I don't have the time for it and if I commit to it again, I won't get anything done because of other commitments that get in the way.

I think JosepMa has done some small updates to the latest version of the help file to match the latest version of Psycle.

However, I suggest that if you find even more things that don't make sense, first post a question about it in the Tech boards, and then when you get an answer and you think it wasn't fully explained in the help file (or even if the help file needs a new index keyword to link to it), post another message in this topics, so that whoever next updates the help file can make use of your suggestions

Finally, please don't let any perceived lack of documentation get in the way of enjoying Psycle - as I said, any problems you find with documentation can be used to help improve it!

P.S. You're right, the pattern sequencer notation is not covered, that will have to be added in!

P.P.S. Also, remember, psycle is created entirely by volunteers - it's important to remember that they are not paid for their work, and so sometimes in order to get things done, it's necessary to try and contribute yourself, if possible

Last edited by TranceMyriad on 06.01.2008, 00:59 o'clock.

06.01.2008, 00:52 Profile of TranceMyriad Add TranceMyriad to your Buddy-List Homepage of TranceMyriad
[  «    1  2  ]   « Previous Thread Next Thread »
Thread closed
Jump to:

© 2002-2007 psycledelics | Powered by Woltlab Burning Board v1 Beta4.5e ©2001 Woltlab GbR|Setup & mod for psycledelics by: SAS