PSYCLE's home     
     since may 2000
  news / home  files songs boards links all registered members about psycledelics Statistics    
╗ Welcome to -psycledelics-. If this is your 1st visit please read the FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions You must register before you can post here: Please click above on Registration to register yourself. You do not need to register if you only want to read Threads.
Login with Username & Password:

Remember me on this PC.
-psycledelics-DiscussionsTECH BOARD ╗ 640x480 resolution...
« Previous Thread Next Thread » Show a Printable Version  Send this to a Friend  Add to Favorites
Thread closed
Author

Date Registered:

Anaki_Muon ist offline
640x480 resolution...        Go on top to this Page

Being a poor student, with many other priorities, it looks as though I'm gonna be stuck with the computer monitor I've already got for quite some time. A shame really, since I think it may have been made around 10 years before the motherboard I've got in my computer!

Anyway, my monitor can't exceed a screen resolution of 640x480, and oddly enough a lot of dialogue boxes won't pop-up in Psycle in that resolution. I can't use the "save as..." or "Load..." dialogues for example. Saving isn't a problem, I just select "New" and then when it prompts me to "save the current song first" I choose to do so, always remembering to rename the defaulted untitled.psy song file before I save over it by accident. I load songs just by dragging them from the folder in to the Psycle environment. When I load .wav files for the sampler the dialogue box happily pops open though... but I can only use that to load .wav files!

Unfortunately, I can't figure out a way to load any .xm files without the dialogue box! Any suggestions? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by Anaki_Muon on 20.12.2004, 04:24 o'clock.

20.12.2004, 04:21 Profile of Anaki_Muon Add Anaki_Muon to your Buddy-List
BJohan

Date Registered:

BJohan ist offline
         Go on top to this Page

This is a good Dec-20 Joke :-)

You're canadian.. i'm sure you can get your hands on a "rubbish" 800x600 screen.

20.12.2004, 09:20 Profile of BJohan Add BJohan to your Buddy-List Homepage of BJohan Add BJohan to your Contact-List AIM Screenname: bohan@jabber.org (no A0L) YIM Screenname: bohan@jabber.org (no Yah00!1)
Anaki_Muon

Date Registered:

Anaki_Muon ist offline
  MONKEYS!        Go on top to this Page

Actually, I'm not joking, but I suppose I can't blame you for thinking I am.

I don't really think being Canadian has anything to do with it (besides, I live in the oddly expensive city of Victoria), but my money for the next four months is already spoken for- getting a new or used monitor is most certainly not an option. Rather than wait that long to get myself a monitor to load up fast tracker files I thought I would see if there were any tricks to loading the files I hadn't thought of.

Seriously, this isn't a joke. I know my way around Psycle quite well, but there are entire features I have neglected to really learn- thus I thought there could be an alternative method for loading the files I couldn't think of.

By the way, BJohan, you have kind of suggested December 20th is known for jokes... of which I am completely baffled by. Care to elaborate?

Last edited by Anaki_Muon on 20.12.2004, 11:28 o'clock.

20.12.2004, 11:27 Profile of Anaki_Muon Add Anaki_Muon to your Buddy-List
BJohan

Date Registered:

BJohan ist offline
         Go on top to this Page

Heh, about Dec 20, it's not known as a day to make jokes.. that was, well, erm, a joke too.

I think there must be a lot of apps that don't fit inside 640x480 nowadays, so psycle isn't really an exception. I haven't checked, but i'm a bit surprised about the File Menu that wouldn't fit in the screen.. it doesn't look that big.

I remember i used some video driver in the past that let you use a "virtual" resolution bigger than the one your screen can display. The desktop scrolled when you moved the mouse near the border. I'm sure at least your video card has enough memory for bigger resolutions, so, maybe it's possible to find a driver (or maybe it's just a software app?) which does the trick.

Otherwize, maybe you can ask around if someone can give you a 800x600 monitor for free? I think it's possible to find some for free because people who could afford it prolly already bought a monitor which supports 1024x768 at least, and so there must be spare 800x600 screens available... dunno, good luck anyway :-)

21.12.2004, 11:19 Profile of BJohan Add BJohan to your Buddy-List Homepage of BJohan Add BJohan to your Contact-List AIM Screenname: bohan@jabber.org (no A0L) YIM Screenname: bohan@jabber.org (no Yah00!1)
Anaki_Muon

Date Registered:

Anaki_Muon ist offline
  PIRATES!        Go on top to this Page

No, no- you don't understand. Technically I am talking about a bug here.

Psycle does in fact fit inside of the 640x480 resolution, without a problem for the most part. Dialogue windows, like that which is used to load samples for the sampler, fit within the 640x480 resolution as well. However, all of the dialogue windows that are accessed from the "file" menu, as well as some of the other tabs specifically on the bar where the "file" tab is found, do not appear at all. I can click the "Open" or "Save as..." buttons found under the "file" tab as many times as I want, and nothing will happen at all. I know it's not a problem with the dialogue windows specifically, because as I said before I can load samples for the sampler with no problems at all. I can only imagine that the method in which the dialogue windows are called up from the buttons under the "file" tab do not operate for some reason or another in a 640x480 resolution (and perhaps others, as well).

Anyhow, thanks for the suggestions. Given that the low resolution is directly a result of my monitor, and not my video card, the app in which you spoke of might just be the ticket. I'll be sure to hunt that app down, and of course, I am always keeping an eye out for free monitors!

"BURRIED TREASURE" <--- what's with the \ appearances around all of my quoted words? Why is there two slashes in the previous sentence when I only typed one? Wait a second, that only appears in the preview. Why then is the preview different than the actual post? Kind of misleading as far as previews go, if you ask me...

Last edited by Anaki_Muon on 22.12.2004, 01:06 o'clock.

22.12.2004, 00:55 Profile of Anaki_Muon Add Anaki_Muon to your Buddy-List
TranceMyriad

Date Registered:

TranceMyriad ist offline
         Go on top to this Page

the slashes are what's know as escape characters....i.e. \x where x is the character you want to appear....it is used in all sorts of coding when the character ("x") is already used as part of the coding language ...

so:

// = single slash (/)
/" = one pair of double quotes(")

etc etc....as for why you actually see this stuff in the preview, well, maybe that can be fixed in the new site layout/setup....

22.12.2004, 06:43 Profile of TranceMyriad Add TranceMyriad to your Buddy-List Homepage of TranceMyriad
[JAZ]
Psycle Developer

Date Registered:

[JAZ] ist offline
         Go on top to this Page

Mmmm... You are using Windows 9x, right?

Bohan, i think it is the file dialog, the one for the wave dialog is a derived one of an old class whereas the one in load/save is the new one.

Did we find a solution for this? (compilation switch?)

22.12.2004, 22:22 Profile of [JAZ] Add [JAZ] to your Buddy-List
BJohan

Date Registered:

BJohan ist offline
         Go on top to this Page

quote:
Original by [JAZ]

Bohan, i think it is the file dialog, the one for the wave dialog is a derived one of an old class whereas the one in load/save is the new one.

Did we find a solution for this? (compilation switch?)

Damn :p
It was supposed to be fixed in 1.7.6.2 which is the same as 1.7.6.1 expect an added line in stdafx.h:

/// this is needed for compatibility of mfc with mswin98.
#define WINVER 0x410
// [bohan] can we use GDI+ on mswin98?
// [alk] bohan; I believe so

22.12.2004, 23:57 Profile of BJohan Add BJohan to your Buddy-List Homepage of BJohan Add BJohan to your Contact-List AIM Screenname: bohan@jabber.org (no A0L) YIM Screenname: bohan@jabber.org (no Yah00!1)
Anaki_Muon

Date Registered:

Anaki_Muon ist offline
  PRESS PLAY ON TAPE        Go on top to this Page

quote:
Original by [JAZ]

Yes, I am using Windows 98, along with the service packs installed as well (and a few other minor updates here and there that probably don't affect the situation).

Thanks for your response [JAZ] (and BJohan), and for confirming what I had been suspecting.

25.12.2004, 02:34 Profile of Anaki_Muon Add Anaki_Muon to your Buddy-List
Anaki_Muon

Date Registered:

Anaki_Muon ist offline
  Psycle, I still love you!        Go on top to this Page

Hey- just a quick update here. I got a new monitor, and have thus been using a higher resolution, and yet some load dialogues are still not appearing. Actually, it's still exactly the same way. You guys probably already knew what the specifics of the bug were, but I just wanted to clarify, it probably has something to do with Windows98 are the CPU, I'm using, I guess. It's a Celeron, BTW.

Keep up the good work! You guys rule!

21.05.2005, 07:50 Profile of Anaki_Muon Add Anaki_Muon to your Buddy-List
BJohan

Date Registered:

BJohan ist offline
         Go on top to this Page

Hello,

Hmm, none of the devers run psycle on w98 and i think there are only a few users that still run it on w98 since we don't get much reports of problems about it despite the known (but unresolved) issues...

it's hard for us to support a system we don't really have access to. we would have to setup some virtual machine and install w98 on it to see the problems. I promise we'll do that just before the next stable release to clarify wether it works on w98 (but if problems are not simple to fix, i'm not sure we'll do lots of efforts to find a workaround).

cheers

PS: jaz, do you still have a w98 system installed?
PS: alk, do you still have access to w98 via vmware?

25.05.2005, 05:28 Profile of BJohan Add BJohan to your Buddy-List Homepage of BJohan Add BJohan to your Contact-List AIM Screenname: bohan@jabber.org (no A0L) YIM Screenname: bohan@jabber.org (no Yah00!1)
FingerSoup

Date Registered:

FingerSoup ist offline
         Go on top to this Page

Any Chance of Win3.1 support next release?

Is it me, or is it hard these days to find a stable Win98 Machine? I've helped far too many people upgrade to Win2k/XP because their Win98SE machine keeps blue-screening...

25.05.2005, 18:12 Profile of FingerSoup Add FingerSoup to your Buddy-List
Hakyoku Seiken

Date Registered:

Hakyoku Seiken ist offline
         Go on top to this Page

Stick with 2K. I'm running XP and I have a few programs (don't know if it's an OS fault or program fault) that leak memory left and right...one of them actually sucks up more RAM by the second.

I've never had any problems with 2K. I'd leave the comp on average 1 week at a time, rebooting usually sunday or monday just to say I did it and I'd never had any problems.

members.lycos.co.uk/hseiken/a/

25.05.2005, 22:16 Profile of Hakyoku Seiken Add Hakyoku Seiken to your Buddy-List
[JAZ]
Psycle Developer

Date Registered:

[JAZ] ist offline
         Go on top to this Page

Yes, I have a real machine with win98 ( old Pentium ), and a partition with Win98 in this P4.

I will do some tests when I have time.

26.05.2005, 21:00 Profile of [JAZ] Add [JAZ] to your Buddy-List
Anaki_Muon

Date Registered:

Anaki_Muon ist offline
  I just saw Autechre live... and it was great!        Go on top to this Page

Heh heh heh... you guys are great.

Mmm... Win98...

29.05.2005, 01:57 Profile of Anaki_Muon Add Anaki_Muon to your Buddy-List
Kriko

Date Registered:

Kriko ist offline
         Go on top to this Page

Hey, just wanted to say that anything you can do to make Psycle still work under Win98 is much appreciated - its the only use I have for Windows anymore (since switching to Linux), and I'm not buying (or "lending") XP/2K...

so at least there are 2 people using Win98 still

Keep up the good work!

29.05.2005, 12:11 Profile of Kriko Add Kriko to your Buddy-List Homepage of Kriko
Anaki_Muon

Date Registered:

Anaki_Muon ist offline
  Mmm...        Go on top to this Page

Happily, I'm picking up a P4 laptop this weekend... so I suppose the resolution glitch will no longer effect me.

I'm curious though, and I bet the developers are too, if Kriko is the only user left running Win98? This would be a good time non-active board surfers to speak up!

Last edited by Anaki_Muon on 24.06.2005, 07:21 o'clock.

24.06.2005, 07:21 Profile of Anaki_Muon Add Anaki_Muon to your Buddy-List
alk

Date Registered:

alk ist offline
         Go on top to this Page

Kriko, try using Psycle under Linux with wine

24.06.2005, 13:04 Profile of alk Add alk to your Buddy-List
Kriko

Date Registered:

Kriko ist offline
         Go on top to this Page

alk: Thanks, OK, I'll try that - the beer I was drinking wasn't really helping anyway

(bad joke aside: if it works, great! Setting up Wine is just a bit more difficult than what I consider worthwile. But Psycle is the one application worth the pain & lost spare time...)

So, adios W98SE, then... *sniff*

25.06.2005, 22:14 Profile of Kriko Add Kriko to your Buddy-List Homepage of Kriko
  « Previous Thread Next Thread »
Thread closed
Jump to:

© 2002-2007 psycledelics | Powered by Woltlab Burning Board v1 Beta4.5e ©2001 Woltlab GbR|Setup & mod for psycledelics by: SAS