PSYCLE's home     
     since may 2000
  news / home  files songs boards links all registered members about psycledelics Statistics    
Welcome to -psycledelics-. If this is your 1st visit please read the FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions You must register before you can post here: Please click above on Registration to register yourself. You do not need to register if you only want to read Threads.
Login with Username & Password:

Remember me on this PC.
-psycledelics- Discussions OFF TOPIC Should be Windows free?
« Previous Thread Next Thread » Show a Printable Version  Send this to a Friend  Add to Favorites
Thread closed
Author

Date Registered:

Angelus ist offline
  Should be Windows free?        Go on top to this Page

All we know that an OS is basic for computer use: It's the medium between computer and user.

But when an OS wins 95% of all the computers around the world, don't you think that governmental authorities would have to take part in this subject?

Windows should be free, in the same way that Linux is. A real OS without add-ons (It should be as it was the old MSDOS).

(???)Oo. X( :( :| :) :)) :D .cC(Psycle!)

09.09.2004, 13:40 Profile of Angelus Add Angelus to your Buddy-List
sampler

Date Registered:

sampler ist offline
         Go on top to this Page

really hard and complex question...

09.09.2004, 15:10 Profile of sampler Add sampler to your Buddy-List Add sampler to your Contact-List AIM Screenname: jegln6 YIM Screenname: jegln6
stirkovic

Date Registered:

stirkovic ist offline
         Go on top to this Page

I think the whole situation is evolving, with loads of companies switching to open source Windows alternatives. With any luck Microsoft will rethink their OS strategy. Do they really need to charge so much? and building Internet Explorer and Outlook Express into windows (instead of being add on programs) was a REALLY bad idea. They might as well have put in a 'click here to hack this computer' button...

09.09.2004, 20:41 Profile of stirkovic Add stirkovic to your Buddy-List
FingerSoup

Date Registered:

FingerSoup ist offline
         Go on top to this Page

I don't mind paying for an OS, I just have a problem with paying $300 CDN per computer for it... if it were a one time charge of $70 CDN or so, I'd be happy...

The fact is, government intervention in pricing would be just as wrong as Microsoft overcharging. If people are willing to pay $300 for Windows, that's fine. If not, use Linux. But for the government to regulate one OS and no others, then that's unfair business practice...

Last edited by FingerSoup on 09.09.2004, 21:41 o'clock.

09.09.2004, 21:31 Profile of FingerSoup Add FingerSoup to your Buddy-List
Angelus

Date Registered:

Angelus ist offline
         Go on top to this Page

With "governmental authorities would have to take part in this subject" I meant that they should promote the use of Free and/or Open Source OS into Institutions, and to end-users.

Here, in Spain, there is a regional government (Extremadura) that has made a Linux Distribution for its purpouses, and it's downloadable from the internet for all (www.linex.org).

With "windows free" I mean that it should be a colaboration between software-developers nad PC-component-manufacturers (Intel, AMD, motherboard-developers, graphics-card developers, ....), like an Experts Group, to make an OS-distribution free as Linux is .

Personally, it gives much fear me to use an operating system that is into the hands of a single company... with that relation that M$ has with its government.

(???)Oo. X( :( :| :) :)) :D .cC(Psycle!)

Last edited by Angelus on 10.09.2004, 10:30 o'clock.

10.09.2004, 09:46 Profile of Angelus Add Angelus to your Buddy-List
  « Previous Thread Next Thread »
Thread closed
Jump to:

© 2002-2007 psycledelics | Powered by Woltlab Burning Board v1 Beta4.5e ©2001 Woltlab GbR|Setup & mod for psycledelics by: SAS