PSYCLE's home     
     since may 2000
  news / home  files songs boards links all registered members about psycledelics Statistics    
Welcome to -psycledelics-. If this is your 1st visit please read the FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions You must register before you can post here: Please click above on Registration to register yourself. You do not need to register if you only want to read Threads.
Login with Username & Password:

Remember me on this PC.
-psycledelics- Discussions OFF TOPIC Linux
« Previous Thread Next Thread » Show a Printable Version  Send this to a Friend  Add to Favorites
Thread closed
Author

Date Registered:

Taika-Kim ist offline
  Linux        Go on top to this Page

Ooooooooh this is soooooooooooo cool, I'm running on Linux now

So the next question is, when will we have Psycle for Linux ?

Umm, no, seriously. This seems very exciting; i just installed Fedora core 1 and the Agnula on top of that, and I'm just amazed at how smoothly everything has gone.
If only those Linux geeks learned to do installers for all the drivers etc...

10.04.2004, 18:07 Profile of Taika-Kim Add Taika-Kim to your Buddy-List Homepage of Taika-Kim
FingerSoup

Date Registered:

FingerSoup ist offline
         Go on top to this Page

Having been through Slackware, Redhat, Mandrake, Fedora and Gentoo, I have to agree - Linux is cool, but can be a pain to get the drivers working properly. Especially with companies like NVidia and ATI only half-assing their support for Linux. Honestly, we NEED open source drivers...

11.04.2004, 00:24 Profile of FingerSoup Add FingerSoup to your Buddy-List
Taika-Kim

Date Registered:

Taika-Kim ist offline
         Go on top to this Page

Luckily I don't need superpowered display drivers for Linux, I still have Windows for those all-night Morrowind sessions

Of course they would be nice, but not something I would consider a fatal flaw... (well, the ATI control panel gamma bug is annoying though...)

I was happy to see that even my Staudio C-Port 2000 works OK in Linux

There's no microQ editor Well, I guess that would be a nice project to try to code. Shouldn't be too hard... If I just had the free time

Phew, I've been fighting night and day for 3 days now with this one, and still there's something wrong with Jack, some rpms that are installed are reported missing, etc.

BUT things look really cool, and the OS is shockingly stable

The ability to rout any Jack-aware program into any other, the Ladspa plugin standard, etc seem just too cool to be true.
It's like having the Psycle/Buzz operationality at the operating system level

11.04.2004, 22:15 Profile of Taika-Kim Add Taika-Kim to your Buddy-List Homepage of Taika-Kim
FingerSoup

Date Registered:

FingerSoup ist offline
         Go on top to this Page

quote:
Original by Taika-Kim
Phew, I've been fighting night and day for 3 days now with this one, and still there's something wrong with Jack, some rpms that are installed are reported missing, etc.

Yeah, dependency hell sucks... Perhaps I can help...

Have you been using "yum" with Fedora? It should take care of everything if Fedora has a package for it. It checks dependencies, downloads, and installs the software for you.

You can also try apt-get to install stuff. It's available to Fedora as well, but it's originally designed for Debian. you may find that you have different packages though.

If it were Gentoo you installed though, I'd advise you to use their "emerge" program... It downloads the Source code, and compiles it for your computer. Unfortunately it's ONLY for gentoo...

12.04.2004, 01:55 Profile of FingerSoup Add FingerSoup to your Buddy-List
Taika-Kim

Date Registered:

Taika-Kim ist offline
         Go on top to this Page

I formatted the whole partition and made a clean install, now things seem fine.

I blame most of my problems on the Agnula distribution, I think it messed some settings up really bad.

I also installed all the dev packages from the Fedora discs so I don't have to spend hours just hunting for some obscure rpms...

Next:
I'll just have to find some software so that this thing actually is any good

At least there are some MIDI trackers, I've been thinking of getting more h/w so these are very welcome...It just remains to be seen if I can Jack all the multiple inputs to my soundcard, being able to Alsa the sound of my h/w synths would be unbelievably cool.

Ok. Time for some sleep now. Compiling & tweaking a completely alien OS for 4 days, 18 hours a day is enough to make my head swim already %-/

Now... Let's have that Psycle compo 5 so that I have some reason to continue using WIndows, too

13.04.2004, 02:20 Profile of Taika-Kim Add Taika-Kim to your Buddy-List Homepage of Taika-Kim
FingerSoup

Date Registered:

FingerSoup ist offline
         Go on top to this Page

Like I said... Use "yum" for installing stuff. It may take a few minutes to set up, but it SHOULD only download and install stuff that's been tested. It's a little proprietary to Fedora right now, but it SHOULD find any obscure packages and grab them for you, provided you've chosen a safe source (ie: Fedora approved).

13.04.2004, 17:47 Profile of FingerSoup Add FingerSoup to your Buddy-List
Taika-Kim

Date Registered:

Taika-Kim ist offline
         Go on top to this Page

I removed the whole thing already

Too much work, too obscure, too haxxx0r work, too much work-in-progress software...

I think I'll check out the system again in maybe a few years time. For now, it's a bit too preliminary for my taste.

Seems very promising, though.

13.04.2004, 20:33 Profile of Taika-Kim Add Taika-Kim to your Buddy-List Homepage of Taika-Kim
Taika-Kim

Date Registered:

Taika-Kim ist offline
         Go on top to this Page

I removed the whole thing (linux, that is) already

Too much work, too obscure, too much haxxx0r work to do, too much work-in-progress software...

I think I'll check out the system again in maybe a few years time. For now, it's a bit too preliminary for my taste.

Seems very promising, though.

13.04.2004, 20:34 Profile of Taika-Kim Add Taika-Kim to your Buddy-List Homepage of Taika-Kim
liquid boy

Date Registered:

liquid boy ist offline
         Go on top to this Page

heh, you should try beos (and eventually openbeos) it's the best

14.04.2004, 06:20 Profile of liquid boy Add liquid boy to your Buddy-List Homepage of liquid boy
ksn

Date Registered:

ksn ist offline
         Go on top to this Page

quote:
Original by liquid boy
heh, you should try beos (and eventually openbeos) it's the best

i hope obos is ready soon

14.04.2004, 10:59 Profile of ksn Add ksn to your Buddy-List Homepage of ksn Add ksn to your Contact-List
Taika-Kim

Date Registered:

Taika-Kim ist offline
         Go on top to this Page

Is there any music software for it?

-Kim

15.04.2004, 22:33 Profile of Taika-Kim Add Taika-Kim to your Buddy-List Homepage of Taika-Kim
liquid boy

Date Registered:

liquid boy ist offline
         Go on top to this Page

hmm, yeah, probably - there isnt a great deal of software for be, (cos it isn't a wide spread os like windows / linux ) - but i think i saw a few apps on bebits.com

btw, if you want to try it out, maybe beosmax.org would be a good place to start (the 'max' edition has kernel patches for newer computers etc)

19.04.2004, 03:33 Profile of liquid boy Add liquid boy to your Buddy-List Homepage of liquid boy
Taika-Kim

Date Registered:

Taika-Kim ist offline
         Go on top to this Page

I don't want to "try out" things, I want to write music efficiently and reliably

So I think I'll stick with windows, 1 out of 2 has to do for now...

22.04.2004, 08:24 Profile of Taika-Kim Add Taika-Kim to your Buddy-List Homepage of Taika-Kim
KarLKoX

Date Registered:

KarLKoX ist offline
         Go on top to this Page

I ran Psycle on Linux 16/18 months ago using WineX (not Wine) from TransGaming.
I didn't use tweaks or a special config file, the only thing is to set the samplerate to 22050 because WineX downsample (internally) all songs above this frequency, doing so improve the emulation.
There were no choppy/crackle sound except that the scrolling is not as smooth as the windows port.
I think that Psycle should run better now with the latest winex release

01.05.2004, 18:50 Profile of KarLKoX Add KarLKoX to your Buddy-List Homepage of KarLKoX AIM Screenname: xxkarlkoxxx
  « Previous Thread Next Thread »
Thread closed
Jump to:

© 2002-2007 psycledelics | Powered by Woltlab Burning Board v1 Beta4.5e ©2001 Woltlab GbR|Setup & mod for psycledelics by: SAS