PSYCLE's home     
     since may 2000
  news / home  files songs boards links all registered members about psycledelics Statistics    
Welcome to -psycledelics-. If this is your 1st visit please read the FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions You must register before you can post here: Please click above on Registration to register yourself. You do not need to register if you only want to read Threads.
Login with Username & Password:

Remember me on this PC.
-psycledelics- Discussions TIPS BOARD Record from external audio part 2
« Previous Thread Next Thread » Show a Printable Version  Send this to a Friend  Add to Favorites
Thread closed
Author

Date Registered:

Devas73 ist offline
  Record from external audio part 2        Go on top to this Page

Hello,
I already saw the question from Kermit the toad.
There is the vst plugin TapeIt, but unless psycle have some way put external audio as a generator machine, it cannot be used for that.
Is it technically feasible to create a generator machine wich simply forwards the samples from the audio card's line in input, given the current architecture of Psycle?

15.11.2003, 10:34 Profile of Devas73 Add Devas73 to your Buddy-List Homepage of Devas73
FingerSoup

Date Registered:

FingerSoup ist offline
         Go on top to this Page

The idea of line-in for Psycle is a good one... One I've been looking for as well... In theory, we already have a WAV recorder for Psycle, so TapeIt is really no help... All you have to do is use the record to WAV button. the bugger of this problem is the audio input as you already mentioned...

I'm sure it is possible, but the only way I can see it working, and staying somewhat in sync, is if you have the recording plugin use ASIO... Which means less compatibility for one.

Also, You would also have to look at recording device selection, for those people who have multiple inputs/devices. Not to mention dealing with half duplex/full duplex operation and what kind of communication between Psycle and the plugin needs to take place in order to verify that you can, in fact, record.

So If it were to happen, I think that it would have to be an internal machine, not a plugin, which makes it much less flexible as to how it works (You won't be able to shoot yourself in the foot per se), but I am unsure what effect it would have on the performance of the rest of the program...

For now I suggest using Plogue Bidule(While it's still free) for realtime effects processing alongside Psycle, or Record and post-process in Audacity (Although their VST host is sketchy, they seem to have LADSPA support down, and good multitrack recording implementation).

17.11.2003, 05:35 Profile of FingerSoup Add FingerSoup to your Buddy-List
Devas73

Date Registered:

Devas73 ist offline
         Go on top to this Page

It surely sounds complicated... it would be nice to be able to run a sampler with some sounds in order to have some guide (drums and bass) and able to play the guitar in real time to record a sample to use later, without going through effects or heavy processing stuff - they would be added later.
I remember buzz has a similar generator but it's impossible to record in real time (it adds several ms of delay).
The user may disable all the effects/machines that don't allow him to record reliably and in sync.
I have downloaded the beta program you suggested, looks interesting thanks...

18.11.2003, 10:00 Profile of Devas73 Add Devas73 to your Buddy-List Homepage of Devas73
Taika-Kim

Date Registered:

Taika-Kim ist offline
         Go on top to this Page

There will always be delay when doing FX on software platforms. And with very short latencies things aren't that stable... (I have a XP1800+ and can get 2ms from my soundcard, but with such little headspace there will be glitcehs in the audio very easily)

The only way to get realtime FX is to use hardware.

But I agree, having audio in as an FX would be very cool, especially with proper MIDI out since then people with external synths could incorporate them into Psycle.

21.11.2003, 14:29 Profile of Taika-Kim Add Taika-Kim to your Buddy-List Homepage of Taika-Kim
Devas73

Date Registered:

Devas73 ist offline
         Go on top to this Page

Ok, you're right - but being able to record just with a sampler without effects? Wouldn't be like cool edit pro works?
I tried CEpro and I can record with my guitar with a playing sample or two on my old notebook celeron 300.
Maybe playing a single long sample (cool edit) or playing more samples at specified times (psycle's sampler) is different and the second takes much more resources.
So it seems there's no way to put guitar parts directly into psycle... I'll stick to my way of recording guitar using anvil studio with midi generated "trace" to follow, and then import waves into psycle's sampler so I can add the sounds I want...

22.11.2003, 04:16 Profile of Devas73 Add Devas73 to your Buddy-List Homepage of Devas73
  « Previous Thread Next Thread »
Thread closed
Jump to:

© 2002-2007 psycledelics | Powered by Hivoox.ma ©2001 Woltlab GbR|Setup & mod for psycledelics by: SAS